JAMIS Software is looking for a Technical Writer who lives in or very near the Fort Lauderdale, FL area (or entirely remotely).
This is an exciting opportunity to create documentation for our specialized ERP software. You’ll be a critical part of our development team, working directly with Software Engineers and QA Analysts. You’ll also consult as needed with Subject Matter Experts from other departments, such as Support and Training.
For each major release, you’ll create comprehensive release notes detailing all new features and changes to existing functionality. You’ll also edit a list of resolved issues. Several times a year, you’ll revise this document to describe features and resolve issues included in software updates.
Our release and update schedule will also drive your work on our product’s wiki help, which includes conceptual overviews, step-by-step procedures, and field-level references. You’ll be a key contributor as we build up our wiki help to be the one-stop portal for all of our product’s documentation.
Additionally, you’ll create news alerts for our product releases and updates, and for other scenarios like per diem changes and year-end requirements.
Less frequently, you’ll also update online help documentation for our web-based legacy software.
At JAMIS, we take pride in documentation that focuses on the audience’s needs. By creating user-friendly documents, you’ll empower clients to find what they need in the release notes and wiki help before they contact support.
Initially, you will learn from and share responsibility with our current technical writer. In the future, it’s possible that you will be the sole technical writer at our company.
- Work with Software Developers, QA Analysts, and other Subject Matter Experts to create and maintain product documentation, including release notes, news alerts, overviews, procedures, and field-level reference
- Obtain information from a variety of sources, including Team Foundation Server (TFS), story cards, and training videos
- Edit written source material for readability, style, and compliance with standards, such as changing passive voice to active voice
- Write for a variety of audiences, from non-technical end-users to system administrators
- Regularly update documentation from partner software to match customizations made by our company
- Review user interface elements like field labels and suggest changes when needed to match standards and improve the usability
- Learn complex concepts and communicate the information in a way that is engaging and easily understood
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Writing, Journalism, Communication, or a related discipline
- 3+ years experience working as a technical writer or in a related job role
- Exceptional written, composition, and grammatical skills. Required: Portfolio of writing samples
- Experience working with the following tools preferred: FrameMaker, Robohelp, Acrobat Standard, Snagit.
- Wiki help authoring experience or ability to quickly learn
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment
- Willingness to be proactive in gathering data about new or changing product functionality
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills to facilitate consultation with subject matter experts
- Curiosity and spirit of discovery to learn about and use the software
WHAT WE OFFER:
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package; 401(k) with a generous employer match; and paid time off.
No relocation is applicable for this position.
WHY WORK FOR JAMIS?
JAMIS is about more than just being a place to work with other growth-orientated technically exceptional experts. It’s also a fun place to work. Our family-friendly atmosphere encourages our employee-owners to imagine, create, explore, discover, and do great things together.
DRIVE CUSTOMER SUCCESS
We deliver innovative products and solutions that go beyond the expected. This means you can expect to work with a team that will allow you to grow, have a voice, and make an impact.
BUILD INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY
JAMIS takes pride in its innovative and cutting-edge technology, so you can be sure that whatever project you work on, you will be having a direct impact on our customer’s success.
WORK WITH BRILLIANT PEOPLE
At JAMIS, we don’t just hire the smartest people. We hire experienced, creative individuals who are passionate about what they do, and who benefit from the culture that we have created here.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your resume with the title of this job listing to in the subject line: Jobs@jamis.com